05 March 2008

Strange dreams

I've been having some very vivid dreams lately.

Early this morning I was dreaming that it was hailing outside and I was bitching about my car getting damage and M and I were looking out the window at the hailstorm. I felt air coming in from behind me and I noticed one of the windows in another area of the house was damaged. Likely from the hail, as it looked like a baseball was thrown thru the glass, and there were several other holes in the glass... so my main concern was to get it fixed - and M was running around looking for duct tape. Yes, a man's 2nd best friend is duct tape. So, as he was looking for the tape, I noticed another window was wide open and then that stuck out as very strange because I know I would not have opened a window in the midst of a storm. As I started to approach the window, I felt this eerie feeling that someone was in the house. I headed towards the kitchen where I knew I could find a weapon, and there on the counter was a very large cutting knife. As I was reaching for it someone grabbed me and I was trying to yell as loud as I could for M, while trying to stab the arm of my assailant. I could see the arm and the knife going in, but I could not scream. All I could hear was moaning - and that sound you make in your dreams when you're trying to scream and can't. My alarm went off not to long after the attack, and I don't remember if I was actually hurt or not... but M thought I was having a REALLY good time in my dream.

Apparently he was watching me while I was having this bad dream because he thought I was going to say something that he could understand. He figured I was going to say a name or say something sexual because he thought I was having sex and moaning in my dream.

It wasn't really funny to me, but it was after I told him what I was dreaming about because of what he thought was going on. All day today I've had the lyrics by The Romantics running through my head - "I hear the secrets that you keep, when you're talking in your sleep".

I've read that dreams tell a lot about situations or circumstances that are actually going on in your life. Dream theorists have said falling is an indication of insecurities, instabilities, and anxieties. You are feeling overwhelmed and out of control in some situation in your waking life. My dream could be interpreted as being chased or being attacked...and chase dreams may represent a way of coping with fears, stress or various situations in your waking life. A more direct analysis of chase dreams is the fear of being attacked. These dreams are inspired by fears of violence and sexual assault.

I'm not really sure why I'm having these dreams about being chased or not being able to scream as if I feel my life is out of control - but I don't really feel stressed or scared of anything that I can think of at the moment. Things are settling down for me, I'm more in control of my life than I have been in years. I've always had really strange dreams. Maybe if I talk about them more I can figure out why they keep happening. They are never the same though, so it's not a reoccurring dream - but its usually about me getting hurt or someone else. Kinda morbid, I know... I've always been this way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In my own case: it is the dreams that I can vividly recall that have significance in one way or another.

MelissaQ said...

that had to have been really scary, I hate when I get scared in dreams, the feeling stays with me for a while after I wake up, like if it really happened